Bravo List
Register
Go Back   > Bravo List > Source Code > Archived Trackers > Template Shares
Old 5th September 2009, 05:28

P2P
Guys,

The TSSE project will be cloning TSSE instead of reverse engineering it.

Why?
  1. There's no decoded source of the latest version.
  2. The code sucks (really, really sucks, really, really bad)
Old 5th September 2009, 12:00

United Kingdom
It seems we're both planning similar goals here but using different methods to achieve it, I did consider using a nulled version of TSSE as my starting point but you said it yourself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enza Gallo View Post
  1. The code sucks (really, really sucks, really, really bad)
Why use crap (and sometimes non-working) code when you can rewrite it yourself and actually make it work. Sure it may take a lot longer to rewrite the functionality myself especially as I'm currently concentrating on adding a template system (Smarty) and language system before I start adding hacks and an installer but in the end I know it won't be crap copied & pasted code with lots of unnecessary sql queries.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:00

P2P
Well, why don't we build the project together?

The first step is to define the project's scope.

Current Project Objectives:

1. Clone TSSE feature for feature
2. Insure the code is GPL & freely available for everyone
Old 10th September 2009, 19:29

United Kingdom
Quote:
Well, why don't we build the project together?
Two heads are better than one and we are after all working towards the same goal.

Quote:
The first step is to define the project's scope.

Current Project Objectives:

1. Clone TSSE feature for feature
That's the basic idea but it would take some time to get to mirror the functionality.

Quote:
2. Insure the code is GPL & freely available for everyone
Agreed the code should be 100% free to all.

From FX Tracker thread:
Quote:
Build on top of BTIT, instead of TBDEV.
TBDEV has more hacks, but BTIT is easier to modify & the code is easier to follow.
BTIT has a template system, language changing system, & supports UTF-8.
You're right xbtit is a lot cleaner when compared to tbdev, the hard work of splitting the languages and templates is already done so it would certainly makes sense to start with it instead.

I have done some work on tbdev but not so much that I'm not prepared to start again with a clean slate. If you're up for a partnership we should try and figure out what features TSSE has and maybe links to appropriate hack threads, purely for reference though. Unless the hack is very well written I'd personally prefer to write it from scratch.

Once we have some points of reference we can start building the features into the tracker and with time mirror all the features in TSSE.
Old 13th September 2009, 03:58

P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by phpCoder View Post
Two heads are better than one and we are after all working towards the same goal.
Quote:
If you're up for a partnership we should try and figure out what features TSSE has and maybe links to appropriate hack threads, purely for reference though.....
Why don't you join the TSSE project on SourceForge?
Other team members listed there will be dropped, as they've done zero in two months time.

Quote:
Once we have some points of reference we can start building the features into the tracker and with time mirror all the features in TSSE.
I think we need a copy of TSSE or at least screenshots of TSSE for comparison.
Other than that, I believe the UI of any application / script can be easily cloned.
Ironically, this is also the most time consuming portion.
Old 13th September 2009, 17:54

United Kingdom
Quote:
Why don't you join the TSSE project on SourceForge?
Other team members listed there will be dropped, as they've done zero in two months time.
No offence intended but it doesn't seem like anything has been done at all besides setting up the repo dirs. Are you actually going to be doing any coding yourself? It's all well and good talking about how the other team members haven't done anything but it means nothing if you've done nothing either.

I'm happy to join forces for a common goal but I need to know I'm not just going to be lumbered with the entire task myself because if that's the case then I may as well just stick to my own project.

Quote:
I think we need a copy of TSSE or at least screenshots of TSSE for comparison.
Other than that, I believe the UI of any application / script can be easily cloned.
Ironically, this is also the most time consuming portion.
Screenshots would work for some of it but other things can't really be seen, as most of XAM's additions are copy & paste code anyway a link to the relevant tbdev thread would be the best method of doing research into how best to incorporate it. Or even just a very good description of exactly what the hack does should be enough in some cases.

I'm not really a big fan of looking into the decoded version of TSSE to see how he does it because he segments the code over lots of files just to make it difficult to see what he's doing and to be frank I can't be bothered going through all that junk code to figure out what he's doing.

I'd much rather write the code myself based upon the requirements for the hack.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:31

P2P
Quote:
....Are you actually going to be doing any coding yourself? It's all well and good talking about how the other team members haven't done anything but it means nothing if you've done nothing either.
  1. I am going to code.
  2. I am not in any type of rush, because this is a volunteer project.
  3. I was looking at previous TSSE releases, to see which one could be salavaged. None of the TSSE code is worthy to use as the base.
  4. I was waiting for the other team members to at least post on the forum or message me -- that has not happened.

Quote:
I'm happy to join forces for a common goal but I need to know I'm not just going to be lumbered with the entire task myself because if that's the case then I may as well just stick to my own project.
If you're bringing an attitude, some sort of chip on your shoulder, or other, yes, please stay on your own project.

Quote:
I'm not really a big fan of looking into the decoded version of TSSE to see how he does it because he segments the code over lots of files just to make it difficult to see what he's doing and to be frank I can't be bothered going through all that junk code to figure out what he's doing.
I'm not saying look at the code.
I'm saying look at how a particular feature works.
This can be as simple as running the original version of TSSE, prior to cloning a particular feature.

Tags
open , project , source , tsse