Bravo List

Bravo List (http://www.bvlist.com/index.php)
-   Community Cafe (http://www.bvlist.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   need to initialze a new harddisk! (http://www.bvlist.com/showthread.php?t=3495)

Terminator 1st October 2009 05:50

need to initialze a new harddisk!

need to install new hard disk and therefore gotta initialize it but there are two to choose from ...

1. MBR = Master Boot Record
2. GPT = GUID Partion Table

which to choose from? i googled and it was mere tech stuff and therefore decided to discuss it here if anyone knows the right answer!

:muscle:

wMan 1st October 2009 09:05

download gparted (it's free) bur it to disc
insert to pc and do what u wan't ,make new patritions ,change labels ,etc
bios sometimes shows wrong info btw it is basic input output system :D

Terminator 1st October 2009 11:15

right..... did you mean the GPT choice by gparted or it is choice number 3 ???

wMan 1st October 2009 11:34

no gParted is program it will show u if hard drive is used (boot hard drive what have os on it )

if u use windows XP and new hard drive is bigger than 250gb u need to split it in patritions not bigger than 250gb ( xp doesn't read more )

when u does that u can reboot ur pc and windows will detect drive automaticly

BUT if gparded doesn't detect new drive check connection to drive
if u use linux u have to format drive to ext3 (in case of ubuntu )

Terminator 1st October 2009 13:35

ummmmm..... i use vista and changing to win7 and had 250GBs BUT wanna install 500GBs and before that i have those above 2 options to choose from in order to get my HD recognized with my PC... therefore needed some pointers in which should i choose while hooking my HD to my laptop!!!

wMan 1st October 2009 14:08

as far as i know if u have 2 hard drives it will only detect 2 bios doesn't read patritions so i don't get what is the problem if u have OS installed on one of hard drives os will automaticly recodnize u know
bios is basic system u don't have to tuch it if u are not shure u need to do that if both hard drives is clean and u put in os install cd u will se it detects hard drives

RikT 1st October 2009 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfman (Post 16179)
if u use windows XP and new hard drive is bigger than 250gb u need to split it in patritions not bigger than 250gb ( xp doesn't read more )

That Info is incorrect BTW if its partition in ntfs it will show full hdd capacity
I think this is reffering to fat32

wMan 1st October 2009 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikT (Post 16192)
That Info is incorrect BTW if its partition in ntfs it will show full hdd capacity
I think this is reffering to fat32

oh for god sake again someone makes offtopic to prowe something
i use ubuntu and i can shure say i don't give a fuck about windows xp so i totaly don't care what it can or can't (btw first windows XP release (v.0.1) is way older than me and i bet even u so rest in peace u pice of corupted .reg and infected system32 ) ENTER ...